dancing beneath the diamond sky

And we'll dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free Silhouetted by the sea Circled by the circus sands With all memory & fate Driven deep beneath the waves Let me forget about today until tomorrow... Hey Mr Tambourine Man play a song for me...

Monday, June 20, 2005

Summer's rolling, folks !

On Thursday, June 9th:

Myself, Ashwini, Mai, Gideon and Gideon's juice-bar friend went to "Shakespeare in the Park".

My predominant emotion was sheer wonder: How could so much of time passed that I was already attending my 2nd summer of Shakespeare in Central Park ? I still feel like a shiny, newly-minted New Yorker. I know this sounds trite, but it seemed like just a couple of weeks ago that we went to our very first "running play" and trooped around (making a valiant attempt not to appear shocked) when players in 17th-century costume actually made us run all over the park !!! However, to be rigorous - this is my first "Shakespeare" in Central Park, considering that last year's play was "The Feigned Courtesans" by Aphra Behn. It was funny no doubt, but also bewildering, and I well remember a bunch of us having ernest, whispered conferences over the printed abstract in the program, trying very hard to figure out what the hell was going on. (I also remember being completely bowled over by the performance, graciously donating 10 bucks to the NY Classical Theatre after the show like a great patron of the arts, going to a Mexican restaurant afterward, and realizing that those had been the last 10 bucks in my wallet. Sounds familiar, anyone ?)

Anyway, back to "As You Like It". This play is so close to my heart, because this was the exact same play we had to read over 2 years of high school. Prejudiced I may be, but for sheer poetry of language, "As You Like It" is matchless, even amongst Shakespeare's other plays. Even though I seem to have conveniently forgotten Integration by Parts & Polynomial long-division (and lots of other stuff that I really need to remember), I find it hard to forget "As You Like It".

"Oh, what passion hangs these weights upon my tongue... ?"

"Sweet are the uses of adversity..."

"All the worlds' a stage, and all its men and women, merely players.."

"So, whats the news at the new court ?..." (this one's for Ashwini !!!)

And finally, but of course, ...

"Who ever loved...that loved not at first sight ???"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home