dancing beneath the diamond sky

And we'll dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free Silhouetted by the sea Circled by the circus sands With all memory & fate Driven deep beneath the waves Let me forget about today until tomorrow... Hey Mr Tambourine Man play a song for me...

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sujata, the GOFER

(Warning: This post has High Food Content)

Guys, I am happy to tell you that there's been an abundance of good food in my life these days. ( dont sneeze : this is a big deal for a nutritionally-deprived grad student such as myself. ) So for those of you who wish to find out more about brilliant culinary options in NYC (and for those of you who just enjoy reading about food), read on.

Last Monday I ended up eating at the most unlikely of places: in a supermarket. I never thought I would actually come to that, but I did. However, this is no ordinary supermarket - this is the Whole Foods at Columbus Circle. (Deepakka: note. You can add one more loyalist to the Whole Foods brigade). Whereas Deepa is a die-hard Whole Foodsie and I myself have enjoyed, on more than one occasion, the juicy raisins and the to-die-for Concord Grape juice she buys for Swapna and Meghana (my adorable little nieces) from Whole Foods, I have to confess that I havent been to a Whole Foods anywhere in NYC till last week. There I made the astounding realization that they have an Indian hot food bar that sells ....hold your breath...Indian food BY THE POUND !!!! Now as all you grad students out there know, food-by-the-pound itself is the greatest invention since the instant coffee and low-fat Haagen-Dazs; but INDIAN Food-by-the-pound is just a whole new level of nirvana altogether.

I also ended up discovering this delightful little place near the 72nd Street subway station: a tiny hole-in-the-wall called "Beard Papa's Cream Puffs" . From what I was told, they sell something like 6,000 cream puffs every day in New York City. How come I hadnt managed to eat even one of these 6,000*10*30 (thats 6,000 cream puffs every day for each day of the last 10 months) cream puffs in all the ten months I've been in New York City, I asked myself in disbelief. Anyways, if you want to find out for yourself what the fuss is all about, just take yourself to 72nd Street and you'll know.

However, the weekend was just unparalleled in terms of gastronomic content. On Saturday I ended up going to that old staple Udipi Palace in Little India. Now these days, Indian restaurants make me feel imbecilic. I can never figure out what to order because I want to eat everything thats on the menu. After approximately half-an-hour spent in deep contemplation of the cosmic question of whether to eat rava dosai or adai or idli-vada-sambar, I settled for my staple fare of onion-rava. After finishing up at Udipi, we hopped straight to an eating establishment thats almost at the other end of the culinary spectrum, but no less attractive : Lalo's. Anyone who's been in NYC for a little while there and not gone to Lalo's - Do something about it, guys ! Is all I can tell you. ( Oh, and by the way: when you're there, you might care to remember some strategic scenes from "You've Got Mail" and think about why the place looks so familiar...)

And on Sunday it was time for Thai, again at the atmospheric "Village Ma's" on West 4th Street. There, I cleared up a week's worth of sinuses with a fiery green curry worthy even of my palate (thats known to be super-resistant to any level of spice.) After this, we decided it was time for a change of scene and ended up at this cooooozy little wine-and-crepes place a few blocks down the road (I cant remember the name!) and freaked out on a magnificent nutella-almond-whipped creme crepe that would have floored the most rigorous Francophile.

Anyways...coming back to the original point of this post: people, dont make the mistake of thinking this is what my eating routine looks like usually. In order to help you better appreciate my reasons for waxing poetic, let me give you an abbreviated description of my diet the last 2 semesters:

Fall 2004: Greasy Pizza-by-the-slice, from Pinnacle Deli. Occassionally supplemented with a side of Jalapeno Kettle Chips and sometimes a few garlic rolls.

Spring 2005: Onion bagels from Uris Deli with a (supposedly) vegetable cream cheese, the Chinese bun stuffed with red bean paste from Tea & Tea, Tropicana Orange Yogurt smoothie, and a bazillion cups of *really bad* free coffee from my department's coffee machine.

Before I wind up, my primary point: Let me formally acknowledge the role played by Sujata Narayanan in these culinary adventures. I state in writing that Sujata knows every good place to eat in New York City (well, almost.) And by the authority vested in me by the fact that I own this blog, I christen her The Great Almighty Finder of Restaurants, or GOFER.

Applause, please !

5 Comments:

At 3:25 AM, Blogger Deepa said...

Hey Divz, nice going, good to see you blogging. Noted the Whole Foods thing, happy to welcome all new Whole Foodsies, though the Indian food by the pound is news to me. I'm really thinking of visiting NY, just to try out all these eating places and to "kazhatti vittufy....."

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Mindmentor said...

Divz..
Im finally having a brunch in Texas. Hashbrowns! Yumm.
U shd blog ur brunch adventures.
Wonder why it feels like i weigh 300 pounds, since i ate all that the nth time with you last weekend.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Divz said...

Deepakka...anything to convince you to make a trip to NYC !!!

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Amma said...

Divi,

Could read the full narration only today.Good to note that you are actually eating proper food.Although I am not very happy to note the diet you were on the last two semesters.

I would love to see NYC skyline with you next time properly from all those spots you have mentioned, of course free of cost.

Have a good time and keep blogging!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger ioiio said...

Divya..

I hope u remember ur dinner treat promise.. Whole foodsaa/72nd Streetaa?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home