dancing beneath the diamond sky

And we'll dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free Silhouetted by the sea Circled by the circus sands With all memory & fate Driven deep beneath the waves Let me forget about today until tomorrow... Hey Mr Tambourine Man play a song for me...

Monday, June 20, 2005

The Center of the Universe

Monday June 13th:

Myself, Sujata, Ashwini and Mai went to "Broadway under the Stars".

This was a free event at Bryant Park that happens only once a year, and they promised us snippets from all the smash Broadway musicals. Naive children that we were, we showed up half an hour ahead of the show ( 8:00 PM) and realized that there were already 15,000 people squeezed into Bryant Park and not one square inch of space left anywhere to park our asses. After some minutes of gawping at the crowd in sheer lack of comprehension, our old Indian street-smarts slowly awoke to life from some musty recesses of our brains ( Come on, girls! This was just 15,000 people ! There's that many people at most weddings back home :D) , and we managed to find a teeny little spot on the lawn to rest our tired backsides.

Even though I would hate to do something as mundane as remark on the weather, I could have sworn that Bryant Park was a furnace that day. Anyway, after keeping us waiting on the lawn for the lord-only-knows how long (whaddaya expect in a free show, I was asking myself), Christina Applegate came onto the stage (atleast, I think it was her. I couldnt really tell, because the stage was so far away) and said some pretty things and started the show off.

To be honest, the program wasnt that hot (even though Bryant Park was). Some guys who were, apparently (judging by the cheers from the crowd) very famous on the Broadway stage, came on and sang some songs. I was just about nodding off when the couple right next to us decided to call it a day and packed up. Thanks to them, we finally got to place more than half-a-bum each on the lawn and ended up stretching out nicely on the grass.

It was then that I really started enjoying myself. Not the show itself - that is ; but the atmosphere. I have to admit - there I was, in Bryant Park, on the lawn, on a balmy summer evening, watching a show that millions of people would only be watching on their TV sets a few weeks later, in the middle of the greatest city in the world, the city lights twinkling like jewels all around me, the midtown skyscrapers touching the sky all around, the Empire State soaring above them all,(dressed in Blue, Red and White that day), ...and I thought to myself, .."Wow. I'm really here."

..And then the last performer came on and started singing ole' Frank's evergreen classic "New York, New Yorkkkkkkkkkkkk !!!". And my cup was really full.

Nothing beats being a Noo Yawkah.

4 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger ioiio said...

Not just when it comes to findiang a place to park your dikky, u guyz are amazingly competent at "kazhatti vittufying" too!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Mindmentor said...

You left out the despcription of the Indian Mush we had that day. I would have never had a better "kurma" :P.

Thanks again for the "tie" Divz.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Divz said...

Hey Sathya...whats meant by "kazhatti vittufying" ?

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger ioiio said...

leaving some one out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home